Trying to serve

Trying to serve

Friday, March 10, 2017

Rustic Herb Garden






I want to call this a nap time craft...realistically it is two naps, only because we need to wait for paint to dry.  I actually did this project in one day (except for the words....because I have children and they move things).  I started in the morning after taking my son to preschool. It did not take long at all, between coats I would do other things.  So if you are lucky and still have a little one who naps twice a day then you can totally do this!  Honestly, with some prior planning anyone can, because it is just that simple.

SUPPLIES:
Pots and saucers
Black chalk paint
White Chalk paint
Brush (I actually used a foam brush)
Stamps
Stamp pad
Plants

Thankfully I already knew that I wanted to do this project BEFORE heading out to the store (many times it happens as I am walking out....not a good idea).  So I knew I needed pots, saucers and of course the plants.  That's it, I had the rest.  I got these pots.





Not really exciting...right.  These don't go with anything I own as well.   Thankfully I am not afraid of paint, because the simplest thing can be transformed simply with paint.

When I got home I decided to rinse them.  Now since I was shopping during school time I knew I wouldn't be painted them that day.  Did they need to be rinsed...I really don't know.  I had the time, but I was using chalk paint and that seems to stick to everything.  So you decide.  They will absorb the water and will need time to dry before painting.

So it is P day...time to Paint!  I set up everything on my table (don't tell the hubby), put something down to protect the table.  I knew I was going to distress the pots and didn't want the orange showing through.  I wanted gray.  So I poured some white chalk paint into a cup and then added some black.  Used my foam brush to mix it up (I really wasn't going for perfection here, just gray paint...we are going to be covering that up anyway).  How much black paint?  You don't need a ton...maybe the ratio was 1/8th black to 1 part white.  You can always add more if you need to.  I believed I used about 1/2cup of paint for one coat of saucers and pots.

As with everything I think there is an efficient way to do things.  I started with the inside.  At first I was only going to paint about 1/3 down the inside, just in case the soil was below the top.  I didn't want to see ANY orange.  I apologize for no photos, but this is really simple and there is no wrong way.  I am just telling you what worked for me.

So I painted the inside, the top and then down about 1/3 to 1/2 the outside and moved on.  With the saucers I did half one way and half the other...the paint dries pretty fast, to be able to flip and finish painting...I waited a bit between coats though to make sure.  So after I was done with the saucers I went back to the pots and finished what was left, leaving them rim side down.  Then I finished the saucers.  Then I went back to the pots and flipped them back to their bottom just to make sure the top isn't getting ruined.  I smoothed everything out, and then realized I still had gray paint, so I just finished painting the inside of the pot.  Really not needed, but I had the paint and it only took a few minutes.  At this point I wanted plenty of time for the pots to dry.  So I think I went for a run...a jog...well maybe a trot.  I am S L O W L Y getting back into shape...

After doing some laundry I decided there was enough time now and I could put on a coat of white paint.

First coat of white over the gray.

I have the bottles out for you to see I just used Walmart chalk paint.  I live in small town and this is what I got...
I applied a total of two coats of white paint and let them dry for about 2 hours after the final coat.  Then I took 220 grit sand paper and tore of two small chunks.

Used sand paper.  It doesn't take much.

I used this to distress the edges.  I did use some on the flat parts.  This took more effort, the edges did NOT so proceed lightly so that you don't take off the gray too.
I did try to use vinegar at first.  I read about using it as a distressing technique to not take off too much paint.  It didn't do anything.  Maybe it was the type of paint, maybe it was that I was using a paper towel...I don't know.  I will for sure try again at some point to see if it works.  I will keep you posted.

So after distressing I was excited to get my stamps and put the letters on....well sure enough the kiddos have moved them and NO ONE will cop to it.  I also realize they are upper case (I found 3) and I wanted lower case.  So I lied....I needed one more thing from the store.  Thankfully the next day I was going shopping where there is a Michael's (a hour drive....gah!).  So with my handy dandy 40% off coupon I got these.


I didn't use any precision when stamping.  I wanted them to have more of a rustic feel.

I had already put my plants in the day before, because I am impatient and they desperately needed watering.  You can see these are in those biodegradable pots and yes, they are sticking out of the top.  I am for sure not a gardener, and these may be too big for the pot, but I am going to see how they go for now.  We plan to make a garden in the near future and maybe I can take some of this and put in the garden and the rest in the pot.  I will see.  For now, I look at them every time I do dishes.



 I do fear they aren't going to get enough sunlight, so they are currently on a field trip outside but need to come in because the pollen is horrible!



I would love to see what you decide to make today.  What herbs or plants do you like?  I showed you mine, now you show me yours ;)




Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment