Trying to serve

Trying to serve

Monday, October 27, 2014

Family Pictures...wanted this, so I made that.

In preparation for family pictures, I look for coordinating clothing.  Recently I was accused of being "one of those".  Who puts thought and effort into photos that will hang on my wall for years to come??  Thanks?!?!  I will take it as a compliment that I have attention to detail and not as a criticism.   Now, I don't necessarily want everyone matching.  In fact now, I would like no one to wear the same outfit (as you will see that wasn't possible).  So I start "shopping" in my kids closets and also search Pintrest for different color schemes.  After searching Pintrest, I knew what colors I wanted...Navy, gray and a splash of yellow.   Yellow was going to be hard, very hard.   I also didn't want to buy a new outfit for everyone (hence shopping in their closets).  So after many texts back and forth between my good friend (who I mentioned before in previous post...I should just out her) I had the outfits for the kids.  Now for my clothes.  Cream sweater with jeans and boots.  It goes, but I wanted to tie in.

Now remember my original color scheme...well green had found a way into the mix (thanks to Brady's shirt).  So my girlfriend searched another site for mainly hand made items for purchase, and found this scarf...
 NOW we are talking!!!  I LOVED it...however wasn't fond of the price tag.  Since my sewing machine is out from making the ruffle curtains (I am SO loving having a basement!!!) the hunt began for the fabric.  I searched JoAnne's online.  I didn't see it, however they had many plaids (or Tartans) so when the bigs got home from school I could NOT wait and loaded them to search.  I HAD to know.
When I say crafting is like an itch I need to scratch....it is!!  I also just got done being affected by the poison oak plant...so I know real itching...and I just need to scratch (please don't...it is so bad and can lead to infection...PSA over).
So at first pass I can't find it.  Bummer.  I walk around and around..finding flannel in multiple locations...then I spot it....insert angles singing!  I proudly gather my fabric and go to the cut out station.  Having not really researched a tutorial yet, I guess at the yardage.  I got 2 yards...fingers crossed!!
We get home and I can hardly wait, but the kids are hungry so dinner is done and then the start of bath time...so finally I get to start researching the exact tutorial I wanted.  I looked at a few but this by far appeared to be the easiest and quickest (to me)...HERE.  So I jumped in and after being a bit too rash, I had two scarves made one for me and one for my dear friend helping me.  Plus I had some scrap left over.
Here is it is!!  Super happy (don't mind the non matching shirt..)

After making the scarf and putting with my outfit I think I am done...no, not quite.  Juliet's dress is too summery and then I find this amazing yellow skirt in corduroy on clearance at Target...in her size!  So I bought it...I HAD to.  Now I am happy.  I also decide to use the scrap to make a sash for Viv's denim dress, to tie her in.  So days before the photos I make the sash, only to find out that Viv says her dress is too small....ugh...off to Old Navy to get a new one (at least I can hand it down...right?).  Ok...NOW I am happy...? Then I start putting everyone's clothes together and Jillian's shirt adds too much pattern to the new skirt paired with a polka dot sweater...AGHHH!  Insert matching dress to Viv...we had one already.  So I have two girls in matching denim dresses and only enough fabric for one sash...
To make a long story short (as you can see I am long winded) I decided after a painful decision (because I knew it would be a pain!) to add the fabric to the cuff of each girl's dress...don't ask..ok if you really want to know comment below and then I will post how I did it.  When I get the photos from the shoot I will post how it looked here..it is super cute!  The girls loved it!  The best part...I had extra fabric to tie Juliet in with all us girls...
I started researching rosette's with fabric and ribbon..I quickly twisted and turned and made a rosette...now hopefully when I get the glue gun I can do the same.  So out came the glue gun and I started over and this is what I  got. 
 I still had some fabric left over and I played until I created a bow...again if you post you want a tutorial I will be happy to post!
The morning of the photos I ran to Target to get headbands and attached them with some felt from another project (no one will miss it..right?!?!)

Voila coordinating headbands!  NOW I am happy....which is good because I had to leave in a couple of hours and had three girls hair to do and my own!!

So from two yards of fabric I made two scarves, four sleeve inserts, and two head bands.  Did I mention I had a coupon!?!?  I think it totaled about $14.  I can't wait to share the pictures with you.  I saw a preview and love them!!!

Remember comment here or on the FB page if you want to know more information about the sleeve inserts or the headbands.
Meanwhile, go get some flannel and make yourself a scarf!! The other can be a gift...maybe for a teacher or family...it's that time of year.  Nine more weekends before Christmas....


*******Update*******
So as promised here are a few photos from our photo shoot.  A huge shout out to Megan at A Beautiful Moment.  She is located in southern CA but I am hoping she comes east soon.  Her website is here.
Now for the photos.  I just picked quickly from the thumbnails...so I am holding on to some special ones for Christmas surprises...so sorry I can't share all of them (or my most favorites..) 

 Maybe a better view of the cuff??



Can you see the cuff embellishment?



May we always continue to keep having fun.....



No comments:

Post a Comment