Trying to serve

Trying to serve

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cinnamon Scones

A few weeks ago, my hubby ran to the grocery store to pick up a few item and came home with some cinnamon chips that were on clearance.  I am all for getting a good deal, but I had no idea what I was going to make with them.  I had never heard of them (which is surprising because I love cinnamon), so I was clueless.  Then a few days later I found a recipe for cinnamon scones...perfect!  But not today.
So fast forward a couple of weeks and I keep telling the girls we are going to make them, so I figure Saturday morning would be perfect...only problem, I can't find the recipe anymore.  So I take to the internet to search and I think I have found it, only to realize I don't have all the ingredients so we make pancakes instead (plus I have never made scones before and am not sure if I am up to the task this particular morning).  I am still not sure if I found the right recipe, and then I stumbled on the perfect one (here).
So, Sunday morning, we rush off to church, me and the hubby haven't eaten yet so I think after church would be perfect.

I assemble all the ingredients...



Cinnamon Chip Scones 
makes 16 scones
3 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup cold butter
1 cup buttermilk (recipe to follow)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup cinnamon chips

In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.  I put all my spices in first because I thought the girls were going to come help me put in the flour (but they were having too much fun singing and playing with daddy so I did it).

Then cut in the butter with 2 knives, a pastry blender, and in one post I saw someone recommend using a food processor..but this was too much flower for mine, so two knives and two little hands would do.
Jenevieve wanted to help


When it was close to resembling crumbs I repaired the buttermilk for the next step.

To make buttermilk
1 Tbsp of vinegar (or lemon juice)
almost 1 cup of milk

In a pyrex measuring cup, put in 1 Tbsp of vinegar and then add milk to the 1 cup mark and let it sit for 5 minutes
That's it!
Viola...buttermilk



Once the flour mixture resembles crumbs (I started preheating my oven here..425 degrees..it's a game for me to finish just as the oven comes to temperature so I don't "waste" heat) 
add the buttermilk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and combine.
not quite combined yet
  
Once combined fold in the chips (I started just using my hands). 
Once chips are folded in, place on a lightly floured surface (I just use my clean counter) kneed gently and roll out into a rectangle.  I just eyeballed it but I cut my rectangle in half the long way and then basically made squares and then cut a diagonal through them.

I lightly greased my cookie sheet and placed my triangles on there and then put in the 425 degree oven and baked for 12-15 minutes until the edges turned golden brown.  

Some recipes called for either an egg wash or butter, but I decided to put a yummy glaze one recipe called for on mine (here)
For the Cream Cheese Glaze
from my bakingaddiction
1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract extract
2 tablespoons milk
So while the scones were baking I started assembling my ingredients for the glaze.  In a large bowl I just put in the butter and cream cheese to sit out and soften.  By the time the scones were done baking, I felt they had softened enough (I wanted to finish to go to the park...could have probably waited) added the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk and mixed.

 Once the scones have cooled, I just used a spoon and drizzled it over (I could have used more milk in mine..thought about that after the fact while cleaning up).  You could use a pastry bag and pipe it over, but I am not graded in presentation, but in taste in my house (most of the time...sometimes my kids "taste" their food with their eyes and decided they already don't like..but I don't think I have to worry about that with these) so I don't care about how pretty it looks.

I couldn't wait to taste these because they smelled wonderful.  I just love nutmeg and cinnamon together (many of the recipes didn't have nutmeg..that is one reason I picked this one).  I tried one scone before the glaze and these easily could stand alone with out the glaze or with melted butter and course sugar on top before baking, but now they are sinfully good with the glaze.

Come over and have a cup of coffee and chat..

1 comment:

  1. they look fabulous. this is one recipe i will be trying very soon. thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete