Trying to serve

Trying to serve

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Grandma's Feather Bed

Whew!!! This has been one crazy busy week!  Between dance, gymnastics, AWANA, doctors visits and MOTS (which is more of a renewal than a drain) I was sure happy to see the weekend.  I was so worn out we didn't even make it to the farmer's market on Thursday, which we haven't missed...rain or shine.  So Saturday is OUR day...to do nothing or do something.
Now this particular Saturday was a cold, rainy day.  Juliet had cried a couple of times through the night but had gone back to sleep, but she woke up before 6am and she is right across from Jillian...who desperately needs her sleep.  So, I scoop her up and bring her into bed with me where we snuggle.  Neither of us is really ready to be up..but we are up, but we are going to snuggle.
Evidently I wasn't fast enough to get Juliet, because I hear Jillian in her room.  I hear Jillian turn on her light, maybe go to the bathroom (which I find out later she didn't) but she stays in her room and Juliet and I snuggle.  I try to soak in her size, how she feels laying with me.  She is small yet big.  Will I remember???  I try to remember the other girls, because I have done the same thing...try to soak them up.  The fear sets in that I wont remember...then it is 6:45...
Jillian comes bounding into my room, full of energy.  "Mom..it's 6:45 can I get up?"  I tell her that she can climb into my bed.  It is way too cold and I don't want to get up yet and Juliet is happy to comply (so is Jillian).  Then I think, Jenevieve is probably up and she wont come get me, so I send Jillian to get her.  So before I knew it, we are all piled in my bed.  Ahhhh!  All my girls in one place all snuggled with me.  I would like to think they are fighting over who wants to lay next to me, but Juliet gets that honor.  As I lay there I am enjoying my family, wondering how it would be if my hubby would be there.  They would probably be climbing all over him.  Peace.
Josh and I have been very big on not encouraging attachment style parenting.  We really don't let our kids sleep in our bed, yet I find it funny how much they want to..especially Jillian.  What is it about our bed that they find so appealing??  Is makes me start to think about the John Denver's song "Grandmother's Feather Bed".  I just love that song, and enjoy John Denver.  Have I been too strict?  Have we been missing out?  Have they?  I was thinking that Juliet enjoyed our time so much that she cried when I put her to bed and after several hours, as soon as I went to bed she cried too.  So I brought her into my big feather bed and helped her fall asleep (it was too cold to stand there and rub her back as I would normally do).  When I put her back in her bed she wasn't happy, so I knew it was time to turn on the heat (literally...the temp was 69 degrees in her room, which evidently she doesn't like)
As much as I enjoy having them in my bed, it is not theirs.  It is Josh's and mine that they can come visit in the morning and I look forward to the memories of mom AND dad in their feather bed....
Miss you babe, almost half way

No comments:

Post a Comment