Trying to serve

Trying to serve

Sunday, October 31, 2010

throwing stones

This morning started as many mornings do.  I woke up and rolled over and looked at the clock.  To my delight it said 6:00.  So I closed my eyes and laid there for a few minutes and realized that I wasn't tired.  How great!  Then I thought, I can jump in the shower quickly before getting the girls up for church (and boy did I NEED a shower).  I get up, brush my teeth and grab my towel and robe and head downstairs to shower (long story for another day).  I hear one of the girls and I am griping that they are up so early, but no worries, they wont get up until I get them..so downstairs I head.  First stop...coffee pot.  How wonderful it will be to get done with a shower and have a nice hot cup of coffee waiting for me.  So I get everything all ready to go and I look at the clock on the oven....7:15.  I check the microwave...7:15.  Then I realize that my clock radio must think it is so smart and changed to standard time.  AGGGHHH!!!!  No time for shower, but at least I will have coffee.
So after heading upstairs and getting the girls started, I need to get dressed.  After getting a dressed into a skirt that fits, but isn't comfortable yet (grrr...baby weight), I look into the mirror.  I look awful.  I sure could have used that shower.  Then I think, I am heading to the one place where there shouldn't be judgement...right??  Wrong!!!  Now before you start thinking, those horrible Catholics I want you to keep reading.
So we get to church and I drop off the big kids at CCD and Juliet and I head in.  Normally we try to sit in actual church, but usually don't make it through mass before we HAVE to head to the "crying" room. Today, thinking I am unarmed with Cheerios we head straight to the crying room.  I typically don't like being in there because Juliet seems to know she can get down and I want to "train" her to be good in church.  The other reason is there are other kids that are noisy (ummm that's why it's there) and it is hard to hear.  This area is actually the common area and they have coffee and a table ready for donuts after mass.
So in walks this family.  It looks like grandparents, the parents and one little girls.  The walk in and sit down in the hard chairs provided.  Then the grandma says to the daughter...there is coffee.  She says ooohh coffee.  They both the proceed to get a cup each.  Then the decided instead of the hard chairs they were going to sit in the comfy couch that was also in the room.  Now if you are familiar with Catholic rules, you are supposed to fast one hour prior to receiving communion.  Nothing to eat or drink.  Now there have been times that I have been cutting it pretty close to that hour mark...maybe scarfing down a bar on the drive in, but never been so blatantly breaking the rules.  So there I sat...glaring at this family.  Hoping to myself, they weren't the Catholics in the family and they just didn't know.  But no, the daughter is..and she in my opinion was the most obnoxious about her coffee.  Then I sat there hoping that she wouldn't take communion.
It doesn't dawn on me until we are home, while I am in the shower getting my stink off and feeling much better,  that I was so worried about being judged because of my disheveled look but it was I who was the one casting judgement.  Yes, they were breaking the "rule" about fasting, but wasn't I breaking a bigger one?  What is that saying...don't throw stones when you live in a glass house?  Well mine would have been shattered today.

HALLOWEEN!!!

The girls had fun walking down the street.  We tried waiting for our neighbors, but the girls couldn't wait. Most of our street was closed down, so we didn't have to worry about the kids running into the street.  I brought along the wagon that carried Juliet but also carried the girls coats.  After letting Juliet Trick-or-Treat at the neighbors and then getting a piece of candy from another neighbor, she quickly caught on what was up!
Some people were sweet and wanted to make sure she was included in the festivities, so they gave her a candy to hold and she immediately tried to open it.  Then she kept trying to get out of the bumbo, which I thought was pretty impossible, but not for a candy driven one year old.  So after some quick thinking, I realized I had a lollipop from one of the houses and let her have it.  I did get one question about weather or not she was old enough to have it, but it was either that or cracked skull.
As we finished the first side of our street, Juliet was done with riding and she walked up with the big girls as they got their candy and was just happy being with them.

Next year is going to be so much fun, but hopefully I will have some help this time.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

No comments:

Post a Comment